The following information was taken from US Census 2000 and NJ DOE Report Card for Bridgeton HS:
- Of the 6,182 households in Bridgeton, 26.3% had a female householder with no husband present.
- 26.6% of the population living below the poverty line, of these, 33.3% are less than 18 years old.
- 77.4% graduation rate of students, with only 17.4% of graduates attending a four year college or university and 34.4% attending a two year college.
- 28% of the students attending Bridgeton High were suspended during the school year.
In addition to the very real needs presented above, there is also a great opportunity as the Mayor of Bridgeton has put together a 15 point plan to encourage individuals and organizations to get involved in bringing about change in the city. This plan was developed following two shootings I 2010. One of the main points of this plan is the Adopt a Block Program.
- Goals and objectives of the Adopt A Block program
- Involve 46 local churches
- Check out the needs
- Guide people to assist the smaller churches
- Deter drug and alcohol abuse
- Deter violence
- How to implement them
- Bridgeton Christian Ministers Association
- Knock on doors
- Hand out literature
- Follow up
We are excited that the city officials recognize the need for change and recognize the need for individuals to personally get involved and build relationships in order for this to happen.